• Feed - CCARC
  • It is currently 20 Jul 2018 22:53

HF antenna - mounting an OCF 

Post HF antenna - mounting an OCF
    Hi,

As some of you may know, I am just sorting myself out on the HF bands. I now have a rig and am now looking around the best option for an antenna appears to be an off centre fed dipole, to cover 80M - 6M. I have collected all the components to build the antenna, my question is around how I will need to mount it.

I want to put something up that is not "ugly" (got to consider the wife in such matters) - so I'm wondering if anyone on the forum can suggest a good way to mount the antenna, whether there is a minimum height above ground that the ends need to be and any suggestions where to buy poles to hold the ends that are not out of place in a residential environment.

My land is 130' x 40' but the front 26' is open to the road, so effectively I have 114' x 40' with the front 2/3 of that filled with the (single story) house. I already have a mast with my 2m/70cm/23cm X-6000 vertical on the roof about 35' from the front of the house and if possible would like to have that as the upper support where the balun would be. The roof is concrete tiles (i.e. not metal) so it should not affect the antenna too much I hope.

The rig I have has an internal auto-ATU but I have no external ATU at the moment so a good SWR is preferrable.

any advice gratefully received.

Ed VK2ARE.

21 Aug 2010 16:00