CCARC NEWS 12-21
CCARC NEWS 12-21
THE PERIODIC NEWSLETTER OF THE CENTRAL COAST AMATEUR RADIO CLUB
ISSUE No 12-21 3rd. June 2012
In this Issue:
- CCARC HF net experiments.
- What’s in the box?
- VHF-UHF Winter Field Day – support your club.
1. CCARC HF net experiments.
Once again this last Thursday a club HF net was attempted. This time an hour earlier and on the 15m band. The success level was not greater than the previous week. 80m & 40m were also tried again. It does not appear to be practical to find a HF band at the time of evening that we would like to have the net to communicate locally between Central Coast stations with their current equipment. Longer distance, e.g. into Sydney, all around NSW and into Queensland is no problem – local communications is the issue. Brad VK2ATI has offered to look into antennas that should work for local communications on the HF bands. We will await results of that work – thanks Brad.
2. What’s in the box?
In the “gifting boxes” at the back of the club lecture room on Friday night the following were available to any club member wishing to take them:
1. a large equipment cooling fan – useful for anyone building their linear amplifier.
2. a 600VA UPS. This unit appears to have a problem in the electronics as it did not turn on when a recent power outage occurred. The battery appears to charge and hold charge by the front panel LCD indicators.
3. VHF-UHF Winter Field Day – support your club.
June 23-24th. sees the Winter Field Day (details: http://www.wia.org.au/members/contests/vhfuhf/ ). Following VK2EH/P’s 2nd place in class in the John Moyle Field day it would be good if some members of the club could support the usual crew for at least part of the contest. There are 8 and 24 hour sections of the contest. I believe the locations being considered will be easy for members to get to from the central coast. Please contact Dave VK2JDH or Col VK2KTC for further details or if you are interested in supporting the team.
For what’s coming up in the next few months at the CCARC, please check the club calendar, accessible from the header on any page on the website.