CCARC NEWS 12-40
CCARC NEWS 12-40
THE PERIODIC NEWSLETTER OF THE CENTRAL COAST AMATEUR RADIO CLUB
In this Issue:
- Time is running out in the Central Coast Award.
- Lecture on VLF receivers this coming Friday.
- Spring VHF-UHF FD contest Saturday 24th.
- Photo slide show on club history page.
- Field Day preparation actions Saturday 24th.
- Next club project kicked-off – Frequency Counter.
1. Time is running out in the Central Coast Award.
Please don’t forget you only have until the end of 2012 to earn the 55 points needed for this award. Another opportunity of double points is coming up with the Spring VHF-UHF Field Day contest (see below). Details of the Central Coast Award are on this website under the Contests+DX section.
2. Lecture on VLF receivers this coming Friday.
- You should not miss the upcoming lecture at the club rooms this coming Friday (16th. November). VLF (Very Low Frequency) is not covered very often however with the world wide amateur fraternity getting small sections of the bottom of the old Medium Wave band to experiment in, interest is increasing – but is that only LF not VLF? Well, we’ll have to go to the lecture from Victor VK2BTV on Friday night to find out!
3. Spring VHF-UHF FD contest Saturday 24th.
Planning and preparations are well under way for the next contest in a fortnight. This one is VHF-UHF and VK2EH will be going portable to take part. But don’t worry you – don’t need to camp out overnight in the middle of nowhere. We’re taking an easy approach to this one. Only entering for an 8hr. section from the start at midday to 8pm from the easy to access Staples Lookout and with the luxury of operating from within Graham VK2GRA’s trailer!
Any one who wants to help, please drop me an email to contests @ ccarc.org.au or simply tell me when you see me at the club. As we will be using some different equipment this time and there will be different operators we are going to have a test of all of the equipment up at the club rooms this coming Saturday 17th. November from 10 am.
Details for the 24th. – set-up 10am – noon, operate from noon for up to 8 hours (depending upon activity and radio and weather conditions), take down and depart at 8pm latest.
Team so far:
Organiser – Ed VK2JI
2IC – Graham VK2GRA
Operators so far – Rod VK2LAX, Doug VK2MDC, Geoff VK2ZC (TBC), Col VK2KCM (TBC).
Even if you are helping making field day tickets (see below), you can come out after the planning meeting to help as the site is just 5 mins drive along Woy Woy road from the club rooms.
4. Photo slide show on club history page.
When Chris VK2YY found a photo book containing pictures when the club put up its first tower and the current tower Chris asked if I could add these to the website. So to see two slideshows of the two actions please check out the club history page on this website.
5. Field Day preparation actions Saturday 24th.
As well as the November Wyong Field day planning meeting at 1pm on November 24th. There will also be a special meeting starting at 10am to print, cut, perforate and staple the ticket bundles for next years event. I have already seen from Fred VK2FSP a sample of the tickets made using the new perforater/cutter and they look very good. So it’s now just a matter of a concerted team effort to create enough booklets for the field day. It is not expected to take 2 hours but after all your hard work you’ll be able to purchase food from Bob’s Brilliant Barbeque from 12 noon.
6. Next club project kicked-off – Frequency Counter.
Sam VK2ZZ has now reached the necessary 10 orders and will be ordering the kits this coming week for the club members who have registered your interest in building this kit. Please get your payments ($60) to Sam ASAP.
I look forward to seeing a hive of activity over the next few weeks as these kits are assembled and tested!
For what’s coming up in the next few months at the CCARC, please check the club calendar, accessible from the header on any page on the website.